from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. See suricate.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Suricata suricatta, a small carnivorous mammal of the mongoose family, from the Kalahari Desert, known for its habit of standing on its hind legs.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A South African carnivore (Suricata suricata, formerly Cynictis penicillata), allied to the ichneumons, having a lemurlike face and only four toes; called also yellow mongoose and suricate.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The African penciled ichneumon, Cynictis penicillata. See cut under Cynictis.
- n. The African suricate or zenick, Suricata tetradactyla.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a mongoose-like viverrine of South Africa having a face like a lemur and only four toes
Afrikaans, from Middle Dutch meercatte, monkey : meer, sea (because monkeys came from overseas); see mori- in Indo-European roots + catte, cat (from Germanic *kattuz).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Afrikaans meerkat, transferrative use of Dutch meerkat ("guenon (monkey)"). Compare English mercat. (Wiktionary)