from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or in the manner of the poems of Anacreon, especially being convivial or amatory in subject.
- n. A poem written in the style of Anacreon.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Alternative form of anacreontic.
- n. Alternative form of anacreontic.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Pertaining to, after the manner of, or in the meter of, the Greek poet Anacreon; amatory and convivial.
- n. A poem after the manner of Anacreon; a sprightly little poem in praise of love and wine.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to or after the manner of Anacreon, a Greek poet of the sixth century b. c., whose odes and epigrams were celebrated for their case and grace. They were devoted to the praise of love and wine.
- Hence Pertaining to the praise of love and wine; convivial; amatory.
- n. [lowercase] [=F. anacréontique.] A poem by Anacreon, or composed in the manner of Anacreon; a little poem in praise of love and wine. Formerly sometimes written anacreontique.
Sorry, no etymologies found.