Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who is actuated by a philanthropic spirit; one who loves mankind, or wishes well to his fellow-men and endeavors to benefit them by active works of benevolence or beneficence; one who from philanthropic motives endeavors to do good to his fellows.
- n. A person who loves mankind (the human race) in general.
- n. A very generous person or institution.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. One who practices philanthropy; one who loves mankind, and seeks to promote the good of others.
- n. someone who makes charitable donations intended to increase human well-being
- Greek; loving + man: French philanthrope. (Wiktionary)
“_Once a philanthropist and always a philanthropist_.”
“For most of my life, the term philanthropist was reserved for the super rich.”
“But though he's a church member and what they call a philanthropist, I hardly thought he'd stoop to hirin 'this done.”
“Gene Epstein, a 71-year-old philanthropist, is HuffPost's first Greatest Person of the Day.”
“Being a philanthropist is very important in todays world, because as the rich get richer and the poor get poorer … … people are dying and starving because of this sin of greed.”
“Du Yueh-sen: “Big-eared Du” organized and controlled the opium market in Shanghai and in his later life was known as a philanthropist.”
“Ovoid D-class nursery celebrity Humpty Stuyvesant Van Dumpty III, minor baronet, ex-convict, and former millionaire philanthropist, is found shattered to death beneath a wall in a shabby area of town.”
“Last week some titled philanthropist had hauled up a woman in the East End of London for attempting to sell her daughter.”
“In recent years he's become known as a philanthropist, his largest gift going to Carnegie Mellon University, whose Tepper School of Business is named after him.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘philanthropist’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Interesting, there is a traditional vocabulary of an Ukrainian, that differs from vocabulary of average American. It would be nice to explore it.
nouns for good people / words that describe good people.
go to the bad people list
( people, character, descriptor, noun )
the name of a certain type of person or character
species, sex, age bracket, occupation, hobby .. etc.
Recently learned words that I like.
denoting a liking for a specific thing
Looking for tweets for philanthropist.