from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person who loves mankind (the human race) in general.
- n. A very generous person or institution.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who practices philanthropy; one who loves mankind, and seeks to promote the good of others.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who is actuated by a philanthropic spirit; one who loves mankind, or wishes well to his fellow-men and endeavors to benefit them by active works of benevolence or beneficence; one who from philanthropic motives endeavors to do good to his fellows.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. someone who makes charitable donations intended to increase human well-being
_Once a philanthropist and always a philanthropist_.
For most of my life, the term philanthropist was reserved for the super rich.
But though he's a church member and what they call a philanthropist, I hardly thought he'd stoop to hirin 'this done.
Gene Epstein, a 71-year-old philanthropist, is HuffPost's first Greatest Person of the Day.
Being a philanthropist is very important in todays world, because as the rich get richer and the poor get poorer … … people are dying and starving because of this sin of greed.
Du Yueh-sen: “Big-eared Du” organized and controlled the opium market in Shanghai and in his later life was known as a philanthropist.
Ovoid D-class nursery celebrity Humpty Stuyvesant Van Dumpty III, minor baronet, ex-convict, and former millionaire philanthropist, is found shattered to death beneath a wall in a shabby area of town.
Last week some titled philanthropist had hauled up a woman in the East End of London for attempting to sell her daughter.
In recent years he's become known as a philanthropist, his largest gift going to Carnegie Mellon University, whose Tepper School of Business is named after him.
A wealthy aristocrat from south-west London is due to be sentenced after he milked more than £1.5 million from a family charity set up by his titled philanthropist grandfather.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.