from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person who loves mankind (the human race) in general.
- n. A very generous person or institution.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who practices philanthropy; one who loves mankind, and seeks to promote the good of others.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who is actuated by a philanthropic spirit; one who loves mankind, or wishes well to his fellow-men and endeavors to benefit them by active works of benevolence or beneficence; one who from philanthropic motives endeavors to do good to his fellows.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. someone who makes charitable donations intended to increase human well-being
Greek; loving + man: French philanthrope. (Wiktionary)