from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who hates or mistrusts humankind.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One who hates all mankind; one who hates the human race.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A hater of mankind; a misanthropist.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A hater of mankind; one who harbors dislike or distrust of human character or motives in general.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. someone who dislikes people in general
French, from Greek mīsanthrōpos, hating mankind : mīso-, miso- + anthrōpos, man.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Ancient Greek to hate + a man; compare French misanthrope and English miser. (Wiktionary)