from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A noisy celebration.
- n. A large assembly, often international, especially of Boy Scouts or Girl Scouts.
- n. A mass gathering or assembly, as of a political party or association.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A lavish or boisterous celebration or party.
- n. A large rally of Scouts or Guides.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A noisy or unrestrained carousal or frolic; a spree.
- n. a large festive gathering.
- n. an assembly of boy scouts, usually at the national or international level, including camping among the activities; -- a term adopted by the Boy Scouts organization.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A carousal; a noisy drinking-bout; a spree; hence, any noisy merrymaking.
- n. In the game of euchre, a lone hand containing the five highest cards and counting the holder 16 points, played by agreement.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a gay festivity
Origin unknown.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Unknown 19th century American slang. Chosen by Baden-Powell in 1919 for use in Scout Movement. (Wiktionary)