from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An elaborate, sumptuous repast.
- n. A ceremonial dinner honoring a particular guest or occasion.
- transitive v. To honor at or partake of a banquet.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A large celebratory meal; a feast.
- v. To participate in a banquet; to feast.
- v. To have dessert after a feast.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A feast; a sumptuous entertainment of eating and drinking; often, a complimentary or ceremonious feast, followed by speeches.
- n. A dessert; a course of sweetmeats; a sweetmeat or sweetmeats.
- intransitive v. To regale one's self with good eating and drinking; to feast.
- intransitive v. To partake of a dessert after a feast.
- transitive v. To treat with a banquet or sumptuous entertainment of food; to feast.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To treat with a feast or rich entertainment.
- To feast; regale one's self with good eating and drinking; fare daintily.
- To take part in a light refection after a feast. See banquet, n., 2.
- n. A feast; a rich entertainment of food and drink.
- n. A light entertainment at the end of a feast; a dessert; a refection at which wine is drunk.
- n. A slight repast between meals: sometimes called running banquet.
- n. In fortification, same as banquette, 1.
- n. A small rod-shaped part of a horse's bridle coming under the eye.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. provide a feast or banquet for
- n. a ceremonial dinner party for many people
- n. a meal that is well prepared and greatly enjoyed
- v. partake in a feast or banquet
The first course in the banquet is a child's bleeding heart, and the other courses are equally gruesome; and they drink a toast to "the pride, pomp, and circumstance of glorious war, the grand self-sacrifice that made us what we are."
The awards banquet is on November 6th and the Esalen event takes place November 5-7.
And I love that Phil going improv as MC at the real-estate banquet is a hit, and that Jay is the last to know he's playing "el jefe" at the wrong party.
At about 1: 30 in the video, West explains that “When the banquet is not presented to us, we inevitably eat out of the dumpster.”
They come together in another way as well: the Nebula Awards banquet is the last weekend in April, just a couple days before the release of the book.
Who have lovingly preserved each and every recipe so as to reproduce faithfully a banquet from the nineteenth century?
The banquet is a semester event for all HKN members and their dates.
Pari and others - the Edgar banquet is on Thursday, April 26th - definitely NOT the winter in NYC.
At the start-of-term banquet, Harry had gotten the idea that Professor Snape disliked him.
Jessica, Shakspere wings in some of his finest classical allusions, a word banquet for all passion struck lovers.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.