from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The formal performance of a solemn rite, such as Christian sacrament
- n. The observance of a holiday or feast day, as by solemnities
- n. The act, process of showing appreciation, gratitude and/or remembrance, notably as a social event.
- n. A social gathering for entertainment and fun; a party.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act, process, or time of celebrating.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of celebrating.
- n. The act of performing or observing with appropriate rites or ceremonies: as, the celebration of a marriage; the celebration of mass.
- n. That which is done to celebrate anything; a commemorative, honorific, or distinguishing ceremony, observance, or performance: as, to arrange for or hold a celebration; the ode is a celebration of victory.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a joyful occasion for special festivities to mark some happy event
- n. the public performance of a sacrament or solemn ceremony with all appropriate ritual
- n. any joyous diversion
Sorry, no etymologies found.