from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A performance by mummers.
- n. A pretentious or hypocritical show or ceremony.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. merrymaking; the performance of a mummer
- n. a ridiculous or ostentatious ceremony, especially of a religious nature
- n. a showy but empty performance
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Masking; frolic in disguise; buffoonery.
- n. Farcical show; hypocritical disguise and parade or ceremonies.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Pantomime as enacted by mummers; a show or performance of mummers.
- n. A ceremony or performance considered false or pretentious; farcical show; hypocritical disguise and paradc: applied in contempt to various religious ceremonies by people who are of other sects or beliefs.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. meaningless ceremonies and flattery
French mommerie, from Old French momer, to wear a mask, pantomime.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Old French momerie, mommerie. (Wiktionary)