from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, appropriate to, or characterized by ceremony; formal or ritual.
- adj. Involved or used in ceremonies: ceremonial garb.
- n. A set of ceremonies prescribed for an occasion; a ritual.
- n. A ceremony or rite.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of, relating to, or used in a ceremony; ritual or formal.
- n. A ceremony, or series of ceremonies, prescribed by ritual.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Relating to ceremony, or external rite; ritual; according to the forms of established rites.
- adj. Observant of forms; ceremonious. [In this sense ceremonious is now preferred.]
- n. A system of rules and ceremonies, enjoined by law, or established by custom, in religious worship, social intercourse, or the courts of princes; outward form.
- n. The order for rites and forms in the Roman Catholic church, or the book containing the rules prescribed to be observed on solemn occasions.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Relating to ceremonies or external forms or rites: ritual; pertaining to or consisting in the observance of set forms or formalities.
- Specifically Pertaining to the forms and rites of the Jewish religion: as, the ceremonial law, as distinguished from the moral law.
- Observant of forms; precise in manners; formal: as, “the dull, ceremonial track,”
- Synonyms Ceremonious, Formal, etc. See ceremonious.
- n. A system of rites or ceremonies enjoined by law or established by custom, as in religious worship, social intercourse, etc.; rites, formalities, or requirements of etiquette, to be observed on any special occasion.
- n. Specifically The order for rites and forms in the Roman Catholic Church, or the book containing the rules prescribed to be observed on solemn occasions.
- n. A prehistoric stone implement-supposed to have been used for ceremonial purposes.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. marked by pomp or ceremony or formality
- n. a formal event performed on a special occasion
Sorry, no etymologies found.