American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or concerned with a sacrifice: a sacrificial offering.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of, pertaining to, or used in sacrifice; concerned with sacrificing; consisting in or including sacrifice: as, sacrificial robes; a sacrificial meal.
- adj. Relating to sacrifice
- adj. Used as a sacrifice.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Of or pertaining to sacrifice or sacrifices; consisting in sacrifice; performing sacrifice.
- adj. used in or connected with a sacrifice
- From Latin sacrificiālis ("sacrificial"), from sacrificium ("sacrifice"), from sacrificus ("sacrificial"), from sacrificō ("sacrifice"), from sacer ("sacred, holy") + faciō ("do, make"). (Wiktionary)
“This is, of course, the provenance of the term sacrificial lamb.”
“The Conquistadors abolished cannibalism and human sacrifice, wars to obtain sacrificial victims, and the panoply of bloodthirsty gods.”
“Marshall is what you call a sacrificial lamb in this race.”
“Indeed, they have been known to roast innocent tourists in sacrificial banquets designed to appease their gods, as well as conducting other heinous acts too gruesome to describe.”
“The ideal temple exhibits, under Old Testament forms (used as being those then familiar to the men whom Ezekiel, a priest himself, and one who delighted in sacrificial images, addresses), not the precise literal outline, but the essential character of the worship of Messiah as it shall be when He shall exercise sway in Jerusalem among His own people, the Jews, and thence to the ends of the earth.”
“Frankincense" was an aromatic used in sacrificial offerings;”
“Kansas (D): Quick, name the sacrificial lamb, er, Democratic nominee against Sen. Sam Brownback (R).”
“I don't know of a place where there has been so much money put in it or so much sacrificial devotion and I use that word sacrificial, advisedly.”
“Indeed, so important are these other features, that, as we have seen, some students would maintain that the only rite which can be properly termed sacrificial is one which presents these features.”
“The moon, then, determines the seasons, the _ri_tus, the moon fixes the share, that is, the sacrificial oblation for all the gods.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘sacrificial’.
Some words of from XTC songs that I like or for some reason stand out. That and a dollar will get you a ride on the bus.
Looking for tweets for sacrificial.