from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or expressing penitence.
- adj. Of or relating to penance.
- n. A book or set of church rules concerning the sacrament of penance.
- n. A penitent.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Pertaining to penance or penitence
- n. a book or set of rules pertaining to the Christian sacrament of penance
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to penitence, or to penance; expressing penitence; of the nature of penance
- n. A book formerly used by priests hearing confessions, containing rules for the imposition of penances; -- called also penitential book.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of, pertaining to, proceeding from, or expressing penitence or contrition of heart: as, penitential sorrow; penitential psalms.
- Eccles., pertaining to the administration of the sacrament of penance; hence, of the nature of penance or punishment.
- n. In the Rom. Cath. and the Gr. Ch., a book or code of canons relating to penance and the reconciliation of penitents.
- n. One who has undergone penitential discipline.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. showing or constituting penance
Sorry, no etymologies found.