from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Having the status or rank of king.
- adj. Of, like, or befitting a king; majestic and regal.
- adv. In a royal way; royally.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Majestic and regal.
- adv. In a royal manner.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Belonging to, suitable to, or becoming, a king; characteristic of, or resembling, a king; directed or administered by a king; monarchical; royal; sovereign; regal; august; noble; grand.
- adv. In a kingly or kinglike manner.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to a king or kings; royal.
- Of regal character or quality; king-like; exalted.
- Synonyms Regal, etc. See royal.
- In the manner of a king; royally.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. having the rank of or resembling or befitting a king
From Middle English kyngly, from Old English *cyninglīċ ("kingly, royal"), equivalent to king + -ly. Cognate with Dutch koninklijk ("kingly, royal"), German königlich ("kingly"), Swedish kunglig ("kingly"). Compare also Old English cynelīċ ("kingly, royal, public"). (Wiktionary)
From Middle English kyngly, from Old English *cyninglīċe ("kingly, royally"), equivalent to king + -ly. Compare Old English cynelīċe ("kingly, royally, publicly"). (Wiktionary)