from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of or pertaining to a despot or tyrant.
- adj. Acting or ruling as a despot, tyrannical.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Having the character of, or pertaining to, a despot; absolute in power; possessing and abusing unlimited power; evincing despotism; tyrannical; arbitrary.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to or of the nature of a despot or despotism; unlimited; arbitrary; tyrannical: as, a despotic ruler; despotic government or power; a despotic will.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. characteristic of an absolute ruler or absolute rule; having absolute sovereignty
- adj. belonging to or having the characteristics of a despot
- adj. ruled by or characteristic of a despot
The US is approaching what I call despotic, with police carrying out absolutisic policy in the streets among our children.
I understand that to be an A level history student you need to have a wide grasp of specialised vocabulary but can i realy be blamed for never hearing the word despotic before?
What must these men think today, these men like Benes and Masaryk who had seen their nation freed from those who held it in despotic control and given an opportunity to become a first rate democratic power.
The Russian government, being despotic, is naturally inclined to be suspicious, and it has long been the custom to send off persons supposed to be dangerous to the state, to live in the intensely cold and remote district of Siberia.
Typical communist and Marxist crud coming from the Central American so called "leadership" that I call despotic scum who's main contributions to the world consist of tourism for the
I'd not use the word despotic, there was a lot of popular complicity out there.
( "The British government rules the Burmese in despotic fashion," he wrote.
 I understand that to be an A level history student you need to have a wide grasp of specialised vocabulary but can i realy be blamed for never hearing the word despotic before?
The so called despotic Hizballah has already begun handing out 12 grand to every victim in Lebanon who lost a house and is already rebuilding a country.
I seem to recall another despotic oil rich leader who used to boast about his strong showing in elections.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.