American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Not controlled by others or by outside forces; independent: an autonomous judiciary; an autonomous division of a corporate conglomerate.
- adj. Independent in mind or judgment; self-directed.
- adj. Independent of the laws of another state or government; self-governing.
- adj. Of or relating to a self-governing entity: an autonomous legislature.
- adj. Self-governing with respect to local or internal affairs: an autonomous region of a country.
- adj. Autonomic.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to autonomy or an autonomy.
- Independent in government; having the right of self-government.
- Subject to its own laws; specifically, in biology, independent of any other organism; not a form or stage of development of some other organism.
- adj. Self-governing. Intelligent, sentient, self-aware, thinking, feeling, Governing independently.
- adj. Acting on one's own or independently; of a child, acting without being governed by parental or guardian rules.
- adj. Celtic linguistics, of a verb form Used with no subject, indicating an unknown or unspecified agent; used in similar situations as the passive in English (the difference being that the theme in the English passive construction is the subject, while in the Celtic autonomous construction the theme is the object and there is no subject).
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Independent in government; having the right or power of self-government.
- adj. (Biol.) Having independent existence or laws.
- adj. (of political bodies) not controlled by outside forces
- adj. (of persons) free from external control and constraint in e.g. action and judgment
- adj. existing as an independent entity
- See autonomy and -ous. (Wiktionary)
- From Greek autonomos : auto-, auto- + nomos, law; see nem- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The team coined the phrase "autonomous checkout clerk," which is exactly what follows, as the robot locates the bar code by spinning the object in its hands, reading the numeric code, and then putting the item in a bag.”
“The term autonomous system refers to a network that is within the control of a single company or organization.”
“We use the term autonomous geographies to define '… those spaces where there is a desire to constitute non-capitalist, collective forms of politics, identity and citizenship, which are created through a combination of resistance and creation, and the questioning and challenging of dominant laws and social norms.”
“China, sensitive to instability or any other perceived threat to one-party rule, is wary of foreigners in its ethnic border areas, which it calls "autonomous regions", especially ahead of politically charged anniversaries.”
“Last summer, News Corp. set up what it calls an autonomous committee to liaise with police and provide any documents requested.”
“Last summer, News Corp. established what it calls an autonomous committee to liaise with police and provide any documents requested.”
“Last summer, News Corp. established what it calls an autonomous committee to liaise with police and provide any documents requested by investigators.”
“When and under what circumstances missile defense computers are actually turned loose in autonomous mode is something you won't hear much public discussion about.”
“Leave him in autonomous mode to explore his environment in a variety of ways or control him directly.”
“It said, there's a stimulus money funding cyber physical system research in autonomous urban vehicles.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘autonomous’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
A combined list of
1. EU Buzz - single words
2. EU Buzz - collocations
3. EU Buzz - the 100 most active
absorption capacity, absorption rate, acceding country, accession candidate, accession countries, accession country, accession criteria, accession cycle, accession negotia..., accession partner..., accession priorities, accession treaty and 2650 more...
broker a peace ac..., client state, deadlocked peace ..., embassy, freeze, goodwill ambassador, hinterland, interfere in dome..., intervene personally, maintain technica..., mediation, no business as usual and 670 more...
The bang, the cannonade,
the bale, the hum.
1. Strictly EU terms with special European meaning used only in the EU
2. Keywords central to the understanding of the EU (people working for the EU are usually able to give thematic...
Quiet, shy, Introverted, reserved, isolated, mysterious
( personal list, randomness )
related external links:
hypermobility, amphibious, immortality, cybernetic, endothelium, hyperform, biodiversity, adaptation, thermoregulation, ecophysiology, ectothermic, endothermic and 95 more...
Vocabulary building for my quest of GRE 2013
Looking for tweets for autonomous.