from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Constituting a complete and independent unit in and of itself: A self-contained dictionary defines every word contained within it.
- adj. Not dependent on others; self-sufficient: a self-contained settlement in the Arctic.
- adj. Keeping to oneself; reserved.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Not requiring external or additional support; complete in itself.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Having self-control; reserved; uncommunicative; wholly engrossed in one's self.
- adj. Having all the essential working parts connected by a bedplate or framework, or contained in a case, etc., so that mutual relations of the parts do not depend upon fastening outside of the machine itself.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Contained or wrapped up in one's self; reserved; not sympathetic or communicative.
- Having an entrance for itself, and not approached by an entrance or stair common to others: as, a self-contained house.
- Complete in itself: as, a self-contained motor.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. constituting a complete and independent unit in and of itself
- adj. in full control of your faculties
self + contained (Wiktionary)