from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Pursuing only one's own ends or interests.
- adj. Exhibiting concern only with promoting one's own ends or interests: self-seeking maneuvers.
- n. Determined pursuit of one's own ends or interests.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Mindful of, or promoting only ones own interests
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Seeking one's own interest or happiness; selfish.
- n. The act or habit of seeking one's own interest or happiness; selfishness.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Seeking one's own interest or happiness unduly; selfish.
- n. Undue attention to one's own interest.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. interested only in yourself
- n. taking advantage of opportunities without regard for the consequences for others
Sorry, no etymologies found.
But if you throw the self-seeking obstructionists out of office in November, I guarantee you that I can put this country back to work and on the road to permanent prosperity.
It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
‘Most people appear to believe that deep down they (and other people) are mad, bad and dangerous to know; that as a species – apparently unlike other species of animal – we are deeply and fundamentally antagonistic to each other, that our motives are utterly self-seeking and that our sympathies are forms of self-protectiveness.’
I can worry about racism without being seen as self-interested or self-seeking.
It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
"At a time of extreme partisan bitterness, growing debate over the Afghan war and what is going to be a self-seeking jockeying for political advantage over every aspect of the federal budget, which is going to last at least through 2012."
The older I get, the more outrageous possessiveness and territorial-ness and jealousy and envy and hoarding and coveting and self-seeking and imagining we can take anything with us we didn't come in with appear to me.
Crypto-Spinozans [who have largely replaced crypto-Lockeans] claim that final causes are merely a "projection" into nature of our own self-seeking desires.
On the sexual front, some cite data to support the claim that men who are accommodating, tend to avoid conflict, give emotional support, are empathetic and generally treat woman with respect have fewer sexual partners during the course of their lives than "bad boys" who are callously self-seeking, manipulative and aggressive.
It is a gift from beyond; from beyond the strategies of the self-seeking mind.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.