American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Excessive love or admiration of oneself. See Synonyms at conceit.
- n. A psychological condition characterized by self-preoccupation, lack of empathy, and unconscious deficits in self-esteem.
- n. Erotic pleasure derived from contemplation or admiration of one's own body or self, especially as a fixation on or a regression to an infantile stage of development.
- n. The attribute of the human psyche charactized by admiration of oneself but within normal limits.
- n. Excessive love of oneself.
- n. Sexual desire for one's own body.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. An exceptional interest in and admiration for oneself.
- n. an exceptional interest in and admiration for yourself
- After Narcissus, a character in Greek mythology who became obsessed with his own reflection. (Wiktionary)
- After Narcissus. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The term narcissism is defined as excessive love or admiration of oneself or a psychological condition characterized by self-preoccupation, lack of empathy, and unconscious deficits in self-esteem.”
“But the reality is that celebrities have more personality issues around what we call the narcissism than the average person, they have more addiction than the average person and we were interested in really showing what happens to somebody like Britney Spears behind the scenes when they actually are treated.”
“In common parlance, narcissism is often used as a synonym for egomania or excessive self-regard," say Drew Pinsky and S. Mark Young in The Mirror Effect.”
“By definition, narcissism is "excessive self-love" and stems from a mythical youth who fell in love with his own reflection.”
“Twenge, co-author with Campbell of the new book The Narcissism Epidemic, suggests there is a connection between an increase in narcissism in society and wanting baby names that are less common.”
“Logo apes Bravo's Housewives bottom-feeders with the all-male The A-List: New York, where bitchy name-dropping narcissism is magnified by a desperate desire to play to the camera.”
“This belief and teachings (which by the way is referenced somehow to Hilter by the Family's leader), 'allows' them to wallow in narcissism and self righteousness.”
“WAKE UP ... your narcissism is without equal ... and, obviously, you and your campaign don't give a s*t about the party or this country.”
“Political narcissism is a bad thing, not just for you, not just for the Democratic Party, but for the U.S.A.”
“Often it looks to me like cultural narcissism is prevalent no matter where your viewing point may be.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘narcissism’.
To see,feel, touch people as objects with emotion instead as empty shells. These objects may be hollow or shallow or solid. But it has shape which can be shaped further and polished well. With that...
various psychological disorders, imbalances. supposed reasons for the mentally insane. crazy talk yo.
loosely connected to traits (bad)
( randomness, descriptive, psycho...
The new favourite words of people on Twitter.
A script searches Twitter for "X is my new favourite word" and adds it to this list.
thunderfuck, incredible, merp, sara, flopparoo, smother, fugly, buer, plum, canny, nefelibata, cuntbucket and 1972 more...
List of most of the words I've learned
My big word list.
Words derived from names, be they historical, literary, or mythological.
Words as I learn them.
Looking for tweets for narcissism.