American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The instinct or desire to promote one's own well-being; regard for or love of one's self.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. That instinct by virtue of which man's actions are directed to the promotion of his own welfare. Properly speaking, it is not a kind of love; since A is said to love B when B's gratification affords gratification to A. In this sense, love of self would be a meaningless phrase.
- n. Synonyms Selfishness, Self-love. See selfishness.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The love of one's self; desire for personal happiness; tendency to seek one's own benefit or advantage.
- n. an exceptional interest in and admiration for yourself
- n. feelings of excessive pride
- self- + love (Wiktionary)
“And since, further, there is generally thought to be some peculiar kind of contrariety between self-love and the love of our neighbour, between the pursuit of public and of private good; insomuch that when you are recommending one of these, you are supposed to be speaking against the other; and from hence arises a secret prejudice against, and frequently open scorn of, all talk of public spirit and real good-will to our fellow - creatures; it will be necessary to _inquire what respect benevolence hath to self-love_, _and the pursuit of private interest to the pursuit of public_: or whether there be anything of that peculiar inconsistence and contrariety between them over and above what there is between self-love and other passions and particular affections, and their respective pursuits.”
“Love Luminary Hale Dwoskin, the best selling author of The Sedona Method, told me, What most people call self-love—positive affirmations and putting smiley-face Post-its on the mirror—is just a manipulation.”
“They are signs that we are challenged in the area of unconditional self-love, which is the only padding that can replace the padding your vice gives you from your vulnerability and pain.”
“Like Prophet Jones, Sweet Daddy Grace was a fount of self-love and an idol of the black working class.”
“Isha Judd is an internationally renowned spiritual teacher and author; her latest book and movie, "Why Walk When You Can Fly" explain her system for self-love and the expansion of consciousness.”
“Young people today don't vlog out of self-love, but in pursuit of affirmation.”
“He impugned the painful process that many of us had to go through and are still going through in order to embrace ourselves with self-love and self-worth in the face of a world which at times tells us to hate ourselves.”
“We not only attract to ourselves those with our own optimism or pessimism, our own self-love or self-hatred; we also broadcast our inner spiritual lives in a way that can hurt or heal others.”
“Isha Judd is an internationally renowned spiritual teacher and author; her latest book and movie, Why Walk When You Can Fly? explain her system for self-love and the expansion of consciousness.”
“If you have not cultivated self-esteem and self-love, telling your kids to take care of themselves will not be enough.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘self-love’.
Looking for tweets for self-love.