from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Immoderate desire for the possession of something, especially for wealth.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Strong desire.
- n. A strong or inordinate desire of obtaining and possessing some supposed good; excessive desire for riches or money; -- in a bad sense.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Strong desire; eagerness.
- n. The character of being covetous, in an evil sense; a strong or inordinate desire of obtaining and possessing something, without regard to law or justice; overbearing avarice.
- n. Synonyms Avarice, Cupidity, etc. (see avarice), greediness, hankering.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. extreme greed for material wealth
- n. an envious eagerness to possess something
- n. reprehensible acquisitiveness; insatiable desire for wealth (personified as one of the deadly sins)
covetous + -ness (Wiktionary)