from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The condition of being susceptible to bribery or corruption.
- n. The use of a position of trust for dishonest gain.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the fact or state of being for sale, especially with reference to bribes or corruption
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The quality or state of being venal, or purchasable; mercenariness; prostitution of talents, offices, or services, for money or reward
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state or character of being venal, or sordidly influenced by money or financial considerations; prostitution of talents, offices, or services for money or reward; mercenariness.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. prostitution of talents or offices or services for reward
From French vénalité or Latin vēnālitās from vēnālis ‘venal’ from vēnum. (Wiktionary)