from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Excessive desire, especially for wealth; covetousness or avarice.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Extreme greed, especially for wealth.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A passionate desire; love.
- n. Eager or inordinate desire, especially for wealth; greed of gain; avarice; covetousness.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An eager desire to possess something; inordinate desire; immoderate craving, especially for wealth or power; greed.
- n. Specifically, sexual love.
- n. Synonyms Covetousness, Cupidity, etc. (see avarice), craving, hankering, grasping, lust for wealth, etc.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. extreme greed for material wealth
Middle English cupidite, from Old French, from Latin cupiditās, from cupidus, desiring, from cupere, to desire.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French cupidité, from Latin cupiditās ("strong desire"), from cupidus ("keen, desirous"). Compare Cupid. (Wiktionary)