Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The quality of being rancid; a rankly sour or tainted smell and taste, as of old oil.
- n. The chief cause of rancidity in fats is hydrolysis of the glycerides, the elements of water being taken up and the free fatty acids and glycerin being formed. The favoring conditions of the change are the presence of moisture and atmospheric oxygen, exposure to light, and contact with albuminoid and mucilaginous impurities.
- n. The state of being rancid.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The quality or state of being rancid; a rancid scent or flavor, as of old oil.
- n. the state of being rancid; having a rancid scent or flavor (as of old cooking oil)
“Some foods, especially those that have a high fat content or those with delicate flavours and aromas, are susceptible to oxidation (attack by air which causes off flavours to develop, known as rancidity).”
“Rancidity is the key factor - rancidity occurs when oxygen interacts with the oil.”
“It also solved the problem of eliminating certain objectionable features of fats in general, such as rancidity, color, odor, smoking properties when heated.”
“The double bonds break down rapidly, producing a toxic form of fat that can be detected in food by its rancidity.”
“I have a sense of optimism because consumers are finally beginning to ask the right questions, like who is making this, how fresh is it, why isn't there a harvest date on this, what is rancidity, why are bitter and pungent flavors good?”
“Store nuts and seeds in the fridge or freezer to avoid rancidity.”
“Both canola and safflower oil are inexpensive; however, canola should be refrigerated to guard against rancidity.”
“Some sourdough schools of thought tell you to avoid whole wheat flours as they cause rancidity, but I haven't found this to be the case.”
“You can use ROE and Vitamin E to help extend the life of your lipstick because both of those additives help prevent rancidity.”
“This particular scientist, Mayne R. Coe, of the federal bureau of chemistry and soils, was trying to find out something about rancidity in foods and what could be done about it.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘rancidity’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Looking for tweets for rancidity.