from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The state of being valid, authentic or genuine.
- n. Having legal force.
- n. A quality of a measurement indicating the degree to which the measure reflects the underlying construct, that is, whether it measures what it purports to measure (see reliability).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The quality or state of being valid; strength; force; especially, power to convince; justness; soundness.
- n. Legal strength, force, or authority; that quality of a thing which renders it supportable in law, or equity.
- n. Value.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Strength or power in general.
- n. The state or character of being valid.
- n. Legal efficacy or force; sufficiency in point of law.
- n. Scientific strength or force: as, the validity of a genus.
- n. Value.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the quality of being valid and rigorous
- n. the quality of having legal force or effectiveness
- n. the property of being strong and healthy in constitution
Sorry, no etymologies found.
I am familiar with Garcia v San Antonio (which, save for Bush v Gore, may be the least reasoned opinion of the Court I have ever read) but its validity is dubious and its relevance seems weak to the instant bill.
Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, which reviews patent validity, is extraordinarily pro-patent, the number of issued patents has grown steadily in recent decades.
An extreme example of this would be Saudi Arabia where the government eschews the expression “law” for man-made instruments of government and where their validity is determined by the religious authorities (“the Uléma”) although most Muslims would regard the school of Islam adopted by the Saudi Uléma as heterodox.
And validity is a matter of formal structure, not content.
But of course, it must be said that mere validity is not the only important matter.
Christmas, while it may lack divine validity, allowing divinity can even claim validity, is nice if only as an excuse to be a little kinder.
It is through opposition and response that they gain validity, become “real” enough to cause the stir and scenes they aim to make.
SpiceJet will fulfill its promise of emerging as India's leading airline, "We believe in the long term validity of the low cost airline model in India and that fuel prices eventually will stabilise," Chairman & CEO, WL Ross & Co LLC Wilbur L Ross said.
She was right on the money with pointing that out, and there is a certain validity to bringing out the handicapped/minorities as someone she cannot respond to, something that both Republicans and Democrats are want to do (black Republicans speaking at the RNC on presidential nomination night anyone?).
What validity is there to claims they destroy the local businesses?