American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Freedom from risk or danger; safety.
- n. Freedom from doubt, anxiety, or fear; confidence.
- n. Something that gives or assures safety, as:
- n. A group or department of private guards: Call building security if a visitor acts suspicious.
- n. Measures adopted by a government to prevent espionage, sabotage, or attack.
- n. Measures adopted, as by a business or homeowner, to prevent a crime such as burglary or assault: Security was lax at the firm's smaller plant.
- n. Measures adopted to prevent escape: Security in the prison is very tight.
- n. Something deposited or given as assurance of the fulfillment of an obligation; a pledge.
- n. One who undertakes to fulfill the obligation of another; a surety.
- n. A document indicating ownership or creditorship; a stock certificate or bond.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state of being secure. Freedom from care, anxiety, or apprehension; confidence of safety; hence, unconcernedness; carelessness; heedlessness; over-confidence.
- n. Freedom from annoyance, harm, danger, or loss; safety.
- n. That which secures or makes safe; protection; defense; guard.
- n. A guaranty or pledge; something given or deposited as surety for the fulfilment of a promise or an obligation, the payment of a debt, or the like.
- n. A person who engages or pledges himself for the performance of another's obligations; one who becomes surety for another.
- n. An evidence of debt or of property, as a bond or a certificate of stock: as, government securities.
- n. uncountable The condition of not being threatened, especially physically, psychologically, emotionally, or financially.
- n. countable Something that secures.
- n. An organization or department responsible for providing security by enforcing laws, rules, and regulations as well as maintaining order.
- n. law Something that secures the fulfillment of an obligation or law.
- n. law Freedom from apprehension.
- n. finance Proof of ownership of stocks, bonds or other investment instruments.W
- n. finance property temporarily relinquished to guarantee repayment of a loan.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The condition or quality of being secure; secureness.
- n. Freedom from apprehension, anxiety, or care; confidence of power or safety; hence, assurance; certainty.
- n. Hence, carelessness; negligence; heedlessness.
- n. Freedom from risk; safety.
- n. That which secures or makes safe; protection; guard; defense.
- n. Something given, deposited, or pledged, to make certain the fulfillment of an obligation, the performance of a contract, the payment of a debt, or the like; surety; pledge.
- n. One who becomes surety for another, or engages himself for the performance of another's obligation.
- n. An evidence of debt or of property, as a bond, a certificate of stock, etc..
- n. property that your creditor can claim in case you default on your obligation
- n. the state of being free from danger or injury
- n. a department responsible for the security of the institution's property and workers
- n. freedom from anxiety or fear
- n. an electrical device that sets off an alarm when someone tries to break in
- n. a formal declaration that documents a fact of relevance to finance and investment; the holder has a right to receive interest or dividends
- n. a guarantee that an obligation will be met
- n. measures taken as a precaution against theft or espionage or sabotage etc.
- n. defense against financial failure; financial independence
- From Middle English securite, from Old French (French: sécurité), from Latin securitas, from Latin securus "safe, secure". (Wiktionary)
- Middle English securite, from Old French, from Latin sēcūritās, from sēcūrus, secure; see secure. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The final constitution should give effect to a progressive concept of security and should accordingly provide principled guidelines regarding the objectives of security and the interpretation of threats to security*.”
“He was not desiring territory, but protection and security to the interests of his people, _security_ to prevent the”
“There is no security adress listed at  and hence took the industry standard security contacts addresses secure@ and security@. secure@xxxxxxxx, secure@xxxxxxxxx, security@xxxxxxxxx security@xxxxxxxx No reply.”
“Fightertrainer. com will be at the Madtown Throwdown on AUG 1st in Madison, WI. lyndeross My husband at bible study = sweet security dcsecurityjobs Have a #security clearance question?”
“After I got through security (jacket went through Xray) and was waiting to board, I reached in my pocket and realized I had a 4″ lockback knife… completely ignored by the ’security’ folks (lucky for me).”
“He found the security office and quickly picked the ’security’ lock.”
“The term security no longer denotes safety for us," he added from the city's GT Hospital where his son was fighting for his life in the intensive care unit.”
“Experience tells us that with this crew, "security" is just a code word for fear.”
“- The term security is connected with the rule of law, freedoms, rights, peace or something that secures equality.”
“SIMONE: He's thinking about January when he can go back to the ranch and just the title security and prosperity partnership, which did we get out of that?”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘security’.
A combined list of
1. EU Buzz - single words
2. EU Buzz - collocations
3. EU Buzz - the 100 most active
absorption capacity, absorption rate, acceding country, accession candidate, accession countries, accession country, accession criteria, accession cycle, accession negotia..., accession partner..., accession priorities, accession treaty and 2650 more...
information security, balance of power, compliance with t..., air superiority, combat compability, compatibility, convergence, countermobility, discipline of eff..., discipline of staff, interoperability, leadership capabi... and 184 more...
Use these and get promoted
Options terms you must know in order to be a successful options trader.
abandon, accrued interest, acquisition, adjusted option, affidavit of domi..., all-or-none order..., american deposito..., american stock ex..., american-style op..., arbitrage, ask or offer, assigned and 366 more...
as enshrined in the EU Charter of Fundamental Rights
words from work
The vocabulary of transport policy
accident rate, cabotage, carriage of goods, carriage of passe..., carrier, co-modality, common policy in ..., complete the inte..., cross-trade, electric motor, employment and wo..., enhance safety and 176 more...
Positive words and vague promises. THE words and expressions to use when you want to win over the masses or just don't know what to say.
"CAPITAL" stands for the administrative capital...
All words of the Lisbon Treaty
(Persons' names, foreign and grammatical words have been eliminated, MWEs have been split up into individual words. Capitalization has been retained if r...
1. Strictly EU terms with special European meaning used only in the EU
2. Keywords central to the understanding of the EU (people working for the EU are usually able to give thematic...
things you may rise above with.
goto things (bad)
( randomness, events, situations, nouns )
Word or letter combinations clicking on which you get interesting lists of words under "tagging" as a result.
periodic symbol w..., bmh, EU technical, Noun Noun Colloca..., Type of Collocation, Adj Noun Collocation, Gerund Noun Collo..., Noun Gerund Collo..., Noun Noun Noun Co..., PP Noun Collocation, Present Participl..., Verb Noun Colloca... and 64 more...
They told you they're five.
The 100 most frequent constituents of EU collocations. People working for the EU are able to complete any of these words to a multiple-word expression with ease. Try it out if you are one! For a gr...
Promise them these and they'll love you
foster research a..., express solidarit..., boost the level o..., fight tax evasion, streamline the ad..., no concessions in..., alleviate the sit..., boost employment, full employment, order, rule of law, give all things t... and 83 more...
Looking for tweets for security.