American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The condition or quality of being fast, especially:
- n. Firmness; security.
- n. Rapidity; swiftness.
- n. The quality or condition of color retention; colorfastness.
- n. A secure or fortified place; a stronghold.
- n. A remote, secret place.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state of being fast and firm or fixed; firm adherence.
- n. Strength; security.
- n. A stronghold; a fortress or fort; a fortified place; a castle.
- n. . Closeness or conciseness, as of style.
- n. The state or quality of being fast, in any sense.
- n. Synonyms Speed, Swiftness, etc. See quickness.
- n. A secure or fortified place; a stronghold, a fortress
- n. The state of being fast.
- n. The ability of a dye to withstand fading
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The state of being fast and firm; firmness; fixedness; security; faithfulness.
- n. A fast place; a stronghold; a fortress or fort; a secure retreat; a castle.
- n. obsolete Conciseness of style.
- n. The state of being fast or swift.
- n. the quality of being fixed in place as by some firm attachment
- n. a rate (usually rapid) at which something happens
- n. a strongly fortified defensive structure
“But fastness is nothing unless you have accuracy too.”
“Between their mountain fastness and the dearly loved spring lay the host of the Philistines; but their love for their leader feared no enemies.”
“She was a robber baroness; she dwelt in a rocky "fastness" -- whatever that was -- surrounded by a crew of outlaws as desperate as any that ever drew cutlass and dagger, and she ruled them not only by native strength of character, but also by the aid of other forces, for she was on friendly terms with the more prominent wood sprites, fairies, and the like, and they brought her wisdom.”
“During the long and taxing journey up into the high mountain fastness where the Huntress’s people dwell, I came to view this less as an epigram and more as an axiom.”
“Christianity; and this necessarily draws on and engages them in a dispute of the particular points and differences betwixt us; which is the very thing they would avoid by this method, and which I have now plainly shewed they cannot do, because they cannot possibly prove their church to be the true church, with out shewing the conformity of their doctrines and practices to the doctrine and practice of the primitive and apostolic church; and this will give them work enough; and will, whether they will or no, draw them out of their hold and fastness, which is to amuse people with a general inquiry which is the true church, without descending to the examination of their particular doctrines and practices.”
“She said it had once belonged to the fastest woman in South Africa, who had given it to her as a joke, but she did not mention the lady's name, nor say in what her "fastness" consisted.”
“Having baffled them all, she laughed scornfully, flung deceit to the winds, then hurried straight to the "fastness," and there uttered the tribal call.”
“` But that's a different kind of fastness, 'Alice objected.”
“Scotch blood, even beyond the bounds of ordinary "fastness," the fact of his being fond of Brook was not of itself a guarantee that the latter was such a very good young man as his mother said that he was.”
“Accordingly, while the pure music filled the place and the rich picture of the stage glowed beneath it, Laura found herself face to face with the strange inference that the evil of Selina's nature made her wish -- since she had given herself to it -- to bring her sister to her own colour by putting an appearance of 'fastness' upon her.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘fastness’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
words that kick ass, in the non-literal sense
Temporary list is temporary.
Collecting a few words here, which are then to be alloted to other lists.
For those who wish no words were ever forgotten
My fancies, my cudgels.
Words and phrases from Scott Lynch's book, The Lies of Locke Lamora
Source book(s): Possession (AS Byatt)
Looking for tweets for fastness.