from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A point of land, usually high and with a sheer drop, extending out into a body of water; a promontory.
- n. The unplowed land at the end of a plowed furrow.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A bit of coastal land that juts into the sea; cape
- n. The unplowed boundary of a field
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A cape; a promontory; a point of land projecting into the sea or other expanse of water.
- n. A ridge or strip of unplowed at the ends of furrows, or near a fence.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A ridge or strip of unplowed land at the ends of furrows or near a fence.
- n. A cape; a promontory; a point of land projecting from the shore into the sea or other expanse of water.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a natural elevation (especially a rocky one that juts out into the sea)
From head + land. Alternatively, from Old English headfod. (Wiktionary)