from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- Ancient Gibraltar. Calpe was one of the Pillars of Hercules at the entrance to the Mediterranean Sea.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. Original name of Calyptra.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. the Rock of Gibraltar, a limestone promontory at the southern tip of Spain; associated with Britain.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A tribute, commonly a horse or cow, paid by a member of a Highland clan, or a vassal, to the chief, in return for his protection.
- n. A genus of Noctuidæ, founded by Treitschke in 1825.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. location of a colony of the United Kingdom on a limestone promontory at the southern tip of Spain; strategically important because it can control the entrance of ships into the Mediterranean; one of the Pillars of Hercules
From Latin (Wiktionary)