from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A high ridge of land or rock jutting out into a body of water; a headland.
- n. Anatomy A projecting part.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A high point of land extending into a body of water, headland; cliff.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A high point of land or rock projecting into the sea beyond the line of coast; a headland; a high cape.
- n. A projecting part. Especially: (a) The projecting angle of the ventral side of the sacrum where it joins the last lumbar vertebra. (b) A prominence on the inner wall of the tympanum of the ear.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A high point of land or rock projecting into the sea beyond the line of coast; a headland.
- n. In anatomy, a prominent or protuberant part; a prominence, eminence, or protuberance.
- Resembling a promontory; high; projecting.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a natural elevation (especially a rocky one that juts out into the sea)
Latin prōmontorium, alteration (influenced by mōns, mont-, mount) of prōmunturium, probably from prominēre, to jut out; see prominent.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin promontorium, which is said to be derived from either mons ("mountain") or munctor ("nose"). (Wiktionary)