American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A piece of land that projects into a body of water and is connected with the mainland by an isthmus.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A piece of land almost surrounded by water, and connected with the mainland by a neck or isthmus. The Peninsula is often used absolutely for Spain and Portugal.
- n. geography A piece of land projecting into water from a larger land mass.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A portion of land nearly surrounded by water, and connected with a larger body by a neck, or isthmus.
- n. a large mass of land projecting into a body of water
- From Latin paenīnsula, from paene ("almost"), and īnsula ("island"). (Wiktionary)
- Latin paenīnsula : paene, almost + īnsula, island. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Perhaps the North Korean peninsula is an example, but otherwise its much smaller than in recent history.”
“The erosion around the Redcliffe side of the peninsula is pretty FKN scary since the summer storms went through.”
“That peninsula is Couch Park and on the west end of the property is the Metropolitan Learning Center, a PPS school, that has a pool run by the Parks Bureau in the basement.”
“Denmark, or at least the Jutland peninsula, is attached to Europe at another point.”
“The peninsula is a Mexican jewel that is easily enjoyed by anyone with an RV or a tent and a sense of adventure.”
“The topography of the entire Yucatan peninsula is essentially flat with elevation variations of less than 500 feet thereby providing no scenic mountainside retirement communities.”
“The word peninsula is derived from the Latin “paeninsula”.”
“The unique thing about Cancun on the Yucatan peninsula is that it is more Mexican than any other city or town here.”
“Exactly how many landmines buried in the Korean peninsula is a state secret.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘peninsula’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
A Cyclopedia of Landforms.
Words ending in -ula
The new favourite words of people on Twitter.
A script searches Twitter for "X is my new favourite word" and adds it to this list.
thunderfuck, incredible, merp, sara, flopparoo, smother, fugly, buer, plum, canny, nefelibata, cuntbucket and 2465 more...
My big word list.
Planetary chaos: terrain, landscape and geology excluding rocks. (See "the geologist" list for the latter.)
Words I Like
Vocabulary building for my quest of GRE 2013
Looking for tweets for peninsula.