from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A piece of land that projects into a body of water and is connected with the mainland by an isthmus.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A piece of land projecting into water from a larger land mass.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A portion of land nearly surrounded by water, and connected with a larger body by a neck, or isthmus.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A piece of land almost surrounded by water, and connected with the mainland by a neck or isthmus. The Peninsula is often used absolutely for Spain and Portugal.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a large mass of land projecting into a body of water
Johnson is author of "Barns of Old Mission Peninsula and Their Stories," which earned a 2006 Merit Award from the Historical Society of Michigan for its photos and stories about 104 old barns on the peninsula.
Perhaps the North Korean peninsula is an example, but otherwise its much smaller than in recent history.
The erosion around the Redcliffe side of the peninsula is pretty FKN scary since the summer storms went through.
That peninsula is Couch Park and on the west end of the property is the Metropolitan Learning Center, a PPS school, that has a pool run by the Parks Bureau in the basement.
Denmark, or at least the Jutland peninsula, is attached to Europe at another point.
The peninsula is a Mexican jewel that is easily enjoyed by anyone with an RV or a tent and a sense of adventure.
The topography of the entire Yucatan peninsula is essentially flat with elevation variations of less than 500 feet thereby providing no scenic mountainside retirement communities.
The word peninsula is derived from the Latin “paeninsula”.
The unique thing about Cancun on the Yucatan peninsula is that it is more Mexican than any other city or town here.
Exactly how many landmines buried in the Korean peninsula is a state secret.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.