American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- An ancient region of Transcaucasia roughly equivalent to the present-day Republic of Georgia. Iberia was allied to Rome and later ruled by a Persian dynasty. It became a Byzantine province in the sixth century A.D.
- See Iberian Peninsula.
- n. historical Antic and Byzantine name of the ancient Georgian kingdom of Kartli located east of Colchis, corresponding roughly to the eastern parts of present-day Georgia.
- n. The region of Europe south of the Pyrenees, consisting of Andorra, Spain, Portugal, and Gibraltar.
- n. an ancient geographical region to the south of the Caucasus Mountains that corresponded approximately to the present-day Georgia
- n. a peninsula in southwestern Europe
- From Latin Iberia, from Ancient Greek Ἰβηρία (Ibēria), after the river Ἴβηρος (Ibēros), which itself came from a native Ibero-Celtic name for the river *Ibēr (modern Spanish Ebro). (Wiktionary)
“This deal confirms the appetite for infrastructure funds to bet on regulated businesses in Iberia," BPI said.”
“Some of those villages in Iberia go back earlier than the Romans though.”
“He also added, a bit more dryly, that there was one wolf of the Mediterranean and it resided not in Iberia but upon the Tiber.”
“But as soon as the messenger of peace had made some low reply, in which, methought, I heard the word Iberia, the heroine assuming a more severe air, but such as spoke resolution, without rage, returned him the olive, and again veiled her face.”
“Kir -- a region subject to Assyria (Isa 22: 6) in Iberia, the same as that called now in Armenian Kur, lying by the river Cyrus which empties itself into the Caspian Sea.”
“Interestingly, there are no good maps of the peninsula we call Iberia, or at least as it relates to wine.”
“Equally those nations who choose not to; and those nations such as Spain or "Iberia" -- during its time of Islamic domination -- would and should have the right to choose their present condition.”
“The complete lack of G2c in Iberia and also so far among Spanish Jews indicates that G2c didn’t come from Spain, or France, since some Spanish Jewish families originated in southern France and migrated to Spain after France expelled the Jews in 1306.”
“Iberia, which is a part of International Consolidated Airlines Group SA was in talks Monday with union Selpa, which represents 1,650 members, about the future of the Spanish carrier's short-haul future as it fights off action that would also likely ground the airline.”
“That seems to have been what may have happened in Iberia.”
Looking for tweets for Iberia.