American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- A country of southeast Europe on the Adriatic Sea. The region was settled in ancient times by Illyrians and Thracians and later came under Roman, Byzantine, and Ottoman rule. Having declared independence in 1912, Albania became a republic in 1925, then a satellite of the USSR in 1944. Elections in 1992 transferred power from the Communist Party to a nominally democratic government. Tiranë is the capital and the largest city. Population: 3,600,000.
- n. A country in south-eastern Europe. Official name: Republic of Albania (Republika e Shqipërisë)
- n. historical Caucasian Albania.
- n. a republic in southeastern Europe on the Adriatic coast of the Balkan Peninsula
- From Byzantine Greek Ἀλβανία (Albania). (Wiktionary)
“But the great thing about such a group in Albania is that it seems to actually work.”
“The Catholic Church in Albania is under the protection of Austria, and the Austrian Consulate at Prizren was applied to also, without result.”
“The time George got his wrist watch nicked in Albania …”
“In the movie Wag the Dog, and American president and a movie producer faked a war in Albania to divert political attention form a domestic scandal.”
“Before the war, Gershman estimates from his research, only about 200 Jews lived in Albania, a country that is about 70 percent Muslim.”
“Besa is a cultural idea, but for the Muslims in Albania it was ingrained in their faith as well," Gershman said.”
“Forbes: Some of the things you have done in Albania, several years ago you put in the flat tax.”
“In 1992 per capita income in Albania was barely $200 a year; today it's over $3,500.”
“The revenues in Albania, budgetary revenues, doubled.”
“While the Obama Administration undermines contract law and property rights, Albania is going in the opposite direction: It is taking steps to strengthen the independence of its judiciary, and the government has just cleared a property rights law in parliament.”
‘Albania’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for Albania.