from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A geographical region in the southeast of Europe, roughly equivalent to the area covered by the former Yugoslav countries, Bulgaria, Albania, Greece and sometimes Romania.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- plural proper n. The countries occupying the Balkan Peninsula.
- plural proper n. The Balkan mountains.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the Balkan countries collectively
- n. a large peninsula in southeastern Europe containing the Balkan Mountain Range
- n. the major mountain range of Bulgaria and the Balkan Peninsula
Of Turkic origin. Compare Turkish balkan ("wooded mountain range"). (Wiktionary)