from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A large group of islands: the Philippine archipelago.
- n. A sea, such as the Aegean, containing a large number of scattered islands.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A group of islands.
- n. Something scattered around like an archipelago.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The Grecian Archipelago, or Ægean Sea, separating Greece from Asia Minor. It is studded with a vast number of small islands.
- n. Hence: Any sea or broad sheet of water interspersed with many islands or with a group of islands.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. [capitalized] Originally and specifically, the sea which separates Greece from Asia Minor, otherwise called the Ægean sea, studded with a number of small islands. Hence, generally
- n. Any body of water abounding with islands, or the islands themselves collectively.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a group of many islands in a large body of water
Italian Arcipelago, the Aegean Sea, alteration (influenced by arci-, chief, archi-) of Medieval Latin Ēgēopelagus : Latin Aegaeus, Ēgēus, Aegean (from Greek Aigaios) + Latin pelagus, sea (from Greek pelagos .(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Italian arcipelago ("Aegean Sea"), from Ancient Greek ἀρχι- (archi, "leading") + πέλαγος (pelagos, "sea"). (Wiktionary)