American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A large group of islands: the Philippine archipelago.
- n. A sea, such as the Aegean, containing a large number of scattered islands.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. [capitalized] Originally and specifically, the sea which separates Greece from Asia Minor, otherwise called the Ægean sea, studded with a number of small islands. Hence, generally
- n. Any body of water abounding with islands, or the islands themselves collectively.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The Grecian Archipelago, or Ægean Sea, separating Greece from Asia Minor. It is studded with a vast number of small islands.
- n. Hence: Any sea or broad sheet of water interspersed with many islands or with a group of islands.
- n. a group of many islands in a large body of water
- From Italian arcipelago ("Aegean Sea"), from Ancient Greek ἀρχι- (archi, "leading") + πέλαγος (pelagos, "sea"). (Wiktionary)
- Italian Arcipelago, the Aegean Sea, alteration (influenced by arci-, chief, archi-) of Medieval Latin Ēgēopelagus : Latin Aegaeus, Ēgēus, Aegean (from Greek Aigaios) + Latin pelagus, sea (from Greek pelagos . (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“This archipelago is one of our nations leading tourist attractions and you can find a lot to do in its capitol of Honolulu.”
“Â This archipelago is one of our nations leading tourist attractions and you can find a lot to do in its capitol of Honolulu.”
“Indonesia, the world's largest archipelago, is prone to earthquakes and volcanic activity due to its location on the so-called Pacific Ring of Fire - a series of fault lines stretching from the Western Hemisphere through Japan and Southeast Asia.”
“Indonesia, the world's largest archipelago, is prone to earthquakes and volcanic activity due to its location on the so-called Pacific Ring of Fire.”
“The tiny archipelago is located between Taiwan and Okinawa in southern Japan, and is under Japanese control, though China and Taiwan also claim possession of the territory.”
“This archipelago is continually changing due to its volcanic past and present.”
“Lying in the Pacific dry belt most of the land in the archipelago is covered by arid, semi-desert xerophytic vegetation.”
“Although the flora of the archipelago is small in number (ca. 150 flowering plant species and 50 fern species), the archipelago contains a high level of endemic vascular plants (about 62.5%) including 12 genera and one family: Lactoridaceae.”
“The Galapagos archipelago is best known for its amazing array of endemic species.”
“The Juan Fernández archipelago is located 667 kilometers (km) off the coast of continental Chile in the south-eastern part of the Pacific Ocean and is of the few regions of the world where there was no permanent human settlements before 16th century.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘archipelago’.
Building a list for standardized test prep or just for learning some new words! Please add any words that you feel are important for the SAT/GRE/GMAT etc...
Words are all I have to take your heart away
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Inspired to publicity by the conversation at segway. Thanks, pals!
"I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis."
Come on, we need a counterbalance...
This has the potential to be the fluffiest list on Wordie.
The new favourite words of people on Twitter.
A script searches Twitter for "X is my new favourite word" and adds it to this list.
bumwank, calamity, recalcitrant, gayenese, jeeze, nonsense, flabbergasted, juxtapose, procrastinating, ossanity, biffing, loser and 1972 more...
List of most of the words I've learned
Looking for tweets for archipelago.