from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of encamping.
- n. The state of being encamped.
- n. A camp; a campsite.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A campsite.
- n. A group of temporary living quarters and/or other temporary structures.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of pitching tents or forming huts, as by an army or traveling company, for temporary lodging or rest.
- n. The place where an army or a company is encamped; a camp; tents pitched or huts erected for temporary lodgings.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of forming and occupying a camp; establishment in a camp.
- n. The place where a body of men is encamped; a camp.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the act of encamping and living in tents in a camp
- n. temporary living quarters specially built by the army for soldiers
- n. a site where people on holiday can pitch a tent
Sorry, no etymologies found.
A tent housing a masseuse sits at the end of one row, and in the center of the encampment is a shaded lounge stocked with sofas.
Usually, the encampment is alongside the main access to the town, where they can search every vehicle and interrogate every person who passes through.
The encampment is currenly in danger of closing down because they have nowhere to go after their May 5 deadline.
The 10TH MOUNTAIN DIV. has been relieved and on it's way home, while the encampment is under seize, in KISTAN, AFGH.
"From the start we've said a long term encampment is not sustainable for reasons of public health and safety," Mr. Villaraigosa said.
Our circle of vehicles resembled a pioneer wagon-train encampment!
The mayor announced on Friday the park would be temporarily closing out of concern for the public safety implications of a long-term encampment.
Monday, saying officials can no longer "maintain the public safety of a long-term encampment," according to a statement issued Friday.
"As we continue to respect the exercise of everyone's First Amendment rights in our civic center and throughout Los Angeles, City Hall Park is temporarily closing out of concern for the public safety implications of a long-term encampment."
Occupy Wall Street protesters have been ordered to leave their long-term encampment in Manhattan, but they have been told they can return once the area has been cleaned.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.