American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The principal landmass of a continent.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The continent; the principal land, as distinguished from islands.
- n. The principal island of a group: as, the mainland of Orkney.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The continent; the principal land; -- opposed to
island, or peninsula.
- n. the main land mass of a country or continent; as distinguished from an island or peninsula
- From main + land. Compare Scots mayn-land, magan-land, madin-land ("mainland"), Faroese meginland ("mainland"), Icelandic meginland ("mainland"). (Wiktionary)
“You may have not realised when I was using the term mainland Europe, I was excluding the British Isles.”
“The channel round the island to the south has a considerable depth of water, and the only communication to the mainland is a causeway about eighty yards long and twelve broad.”
“The first building on the mainland is a large store belonging to Shenowi Bey.”
“If you look at greater China which we define as mainland China,”
“The Sky Awards are open to any work published in mainland China.”
“Online retail in mainland European languages does exist, but on a much smaller scale than English.”
“But, in mainland China, the whole environment is still young, he said.”
“We needed investment to help us do this properly, and to help us really grow our business in mainland Europe in the coming years.”
“While working in mainland Mexico (Mexico City) and driving a California plated car I had let my registration expire.”
“Under the quota system, a Hong Kong company needing yuan to settle trades with a counterpart in mainland China asks its bank to obtain yuan via Hong Kong's only yuan-clearing bank, BOC (Hong Kong) Ltd.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘mainland’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
A list of terms for land, landholdings, or words that contain the string -land-.
Here's a fun little word game that might appeal to my fellow Wordies. The object of this game is to create the longest possible word, using only the official two-letter abbreviations of U.S. states...
Looking for tweets for mainland.