from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The principal landmass of a continent.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The main landmass of a country or continent
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The continent; the principal land; -- opposed to
island, or peninsula.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The continent; the principal land, as distinguished from islands.
- n. The principal island of a group: as, the mainland of Orkney.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the main land mass of a country or continent; as distinguished from an island or peninsula
From main + land. Compare Scots mayn-land, magan-land, madin-land ("mainland"), Faroese meginland ("mainland"), Icelandic meginland ("mainland"). (Wiktionary)