from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that emigrates.
- adj. Of or relating to emigrants or the act of emigrating.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Someone who leaves a country to settle in a new country.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Removing from one country to another; emigrating.
- adj. Pertaining to an emigrant; used for emigrants.
- n. One who emigrates, or quits one country or region to settle in another.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Moving from one place or country to another for the purpose of settling there: as, an emigrant family: used with reference to the country from which the movement takes place. See immigrant.
- Pertaining to emigration or emigrants: as, an emigrant ship.
- n. One who removes his habitation from one place to another for settlement; specifically, one who quits one country or region to settle in another.
- n. In biology, one of a generation of parthenogenetic insects which migrate from the plant upon which they were born to a plant of another kind upon which they multiply.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. someone who leaves one country to settle in another
Sorry, no etymologies found.