from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A person of humble origin who attains sudden wealth, power, or importance, especially one made immodest or presumptuous by the change; a parvenu.
- adj. Suddenly raised to a position of consequence.
- adj. Self-important; presumptuous.
- intransitive v. To spring or start up suddenly.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One who has suddenly gained wealth, power, or other prominence, but either has not received social acceptance or has become arrogant or presumptuous.
- adj. self-important and presumptuous
- v. to rise suddenly, to spring
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- intransitive v. To start or spring up suddenly.
- n. One who has risen suddenly, as from low life to wealth, power, or honor; a parvenu.
- n. The meadow saffron.
- adj. Suddenly raised to prominence or consequence.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To start or spring up suddenly.
- n. One who or that which starts or springs up suddenly; specifically, a person who suddenly rises from a humble position to wealth, power, or consequence; a parvenu.
- n. One who assumes a lofty or arrogant tone.
- n. A puddle made by the hoofs of horses in clayey ground. Halliwell. The meadow-saffron, Colchicum autumnale, whose flowers spring up suddenly without leaves.
- Starting up suddenly; quickly rising.
- Suddenly raised to prominence or consequence; parvenu: as, “a race of upstart creatures,”
- Characteristic of a parvenu; new and pretentious.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an arrogant or presumptuous person
- n. a gymnastic exercise performed starting from a position with the legs over the upper body and moving to an erect position by arching the back and swinging the legs out and down while forcing the chest upright
- n. a person who has suddenly risen to a higher economic status but has not gained social acceptance of others in that class
- adj. characteristic of someone who has risen economically or socially but lacks the social skills appropriate for this new position
up- + start (Wiktionary)