American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A person of humble origin who attains sudden wealth, power, or importance, especially one made immodest or presumptuous by the change; a parvenu.
- adj. Suddenly raised to a position of consequence.
- adj. Self-important; presumptuous.
- v. To spring or start up suddenly.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To start or spring up suddenly.
- n. One who or that which starts or springs up suddenly; specifically, a person who suddenly rises from a humble position to wealth, power, or consequence; a parvenu.
- n. One who assumes a lofty or arrogant tone.
- n. A puddle made by the hoofs of horses in clayey ground. Halliwell. The meadow-saffron, Colchicum autumnale, whose flowers spring up suddenly without leaves.
- Starting up suddenly; quickly rising.
- Suddenly raised to prominence or consequence; parvenu: as, “a race of upstart creatures,”
- Characteristic of a parvenu; new and pretentious.
- n. One who has suddenly gained wealth, power, or other prominence, but either has not received social acceptance or has become arrogant or presumptuous.
- adj. self-important and presumptuous
- v. to rise suddenly, to spring
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To start or spring up suddenly.
- n. One who has risen suddenly, as from low life to wealth, power, or honor; a parvenu.
- n. (Bot.) The meadow saffron.
- adj. Suddenly raised to prominence or consequence.
- n. an arrogant or presumptuous person
- n. a gymnastic exercise performed starting from a position with the legs over the upper body and moving to an erect position by arching the back and swinging the legs out and down while forcing the chest upright
- n. a person who has suddenly risen to a higher economic status but has not gained social acceptance of others in that class
- adj. characteristic of someone who has risen economically or socially but lacks the social skills appropriate for this new position
- up- + start (Wiktionary)
“#Remove a bew upstart scripts cd/etc/init rm mountall* upstart*”
“McCain, war hero, American patriot will prevail against the one term upstart from Illinois with questionable personal affiliations and no experience in the international theater.”
“I guess the licensing is useful for large business to restrain upstart competitors.”
“Murdoch said the energy of the iconoclastic and unconventional should not be curbed, adding: When the upstart is too successful, somehow the old interests surface, and restrictions on growth are proposed or imposed.”
“His connections remain undecided about going on to the May 16 Preakness, preferring to take some time to see how their upstart is doing.”
“However, the upstart is teh upset to this whole thing!”
“With potential applications ranging from protective gear for the military, police, and firefighters to safety seats for cars that protect against high-force impact to soundproofing, the feisty upstart is attracting the attention of big-league players such as NASA and Boeing.”
“The woman on the left (who looks a bit like Téa Leoni, I think) is obviously being confronted with some entitled upstart (look at that nose in the air!) and is on the point of delivering a well-deserved set-down.”
“Surely this upstart is incapable of creating a quality tale, the Holy Grail so often out of reach by seasoned writers, isn't he?”
“Under the terms of the agreement, the Malaysian low-cost carrier has taken a 30% stake in Vietnamese upstart VietJet for Vnd180 billion ($9.5 million) through its wholly owned subsidiary AA International.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘upstart’.
Spam email often comes up with linguistic oddities. Here they are: pseudo-words, dopey phrases, spammer names and the like.
greatdisconutsfor..., folkishness overr..., sola ignescent, upstart, saramara, check out bling b..., there's only one ..., psnemrif, thaws classless, curfitbatsnest, this is how she d..., demurrage and 143 more...
its a list of words borrowed from Magoosh GRE blog ,an indispensable resource for GRE test takers.
Words as I learn them.
All the words which I encounter during my GRE studies. :)
Magoosh GRE list
Looking for tweets for upstart.