from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A newcomer not yet hardened to rough outdoor life; a greenhorn.
- n. An inexperienced person; a novice.
- n. A Boy Scout of the lowest rank.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An inexperienced person; a novice
- n. A newcomer to the region in the old U.S. frontier days.
- n. The lowest rank of Boy Scout.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A delicate person; one not inured to the hardship and rudeness of pioneer life.
- n. See Boy scout.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A new-comer on the plains or in the bush, or one who has not become hardened to the life there; a greenhorn; a novice.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an inexperienced person (especially someone inexperienced in outdoor living)
tender + foot. Refers to the delicate feet of newcomers to ranching or mining areas. First attested 1866. (Wiktionary)