from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One having uncultivated tastes.
- adj. Uncultivated; vulgar.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Unsophisticated, not intended for an audience of intelligence, education or culture.
- n. Someone or something of low education or culture.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. characteristic of a person who is not cultivated or does not have intellectual tastes
- n. a person who is uninterested in intellectual pursuits
low1 + (high)brow.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From low and brow, Americanism, circa 1902. Refers to the (by that time discredited) pseudoscience of phrenology, which suggested that a person of low intelligence and sophistication would possess a lower brow-line than someone of greater intelligence and sophistication. (Wiktionary)