from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A totally ignorant person; an ignoramus.
- n. An anti-intellectual.
- n. An agnostic.
- n. A member of a political party in the United States during the 1850s that was antagonistic toward recent immigrants and Roman Catholics.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A member of a secret political organization in the United States, the chief objects of which were the proscription of foreigners by the repeal of the naturalization laws, and the exclusive choice of native Americans for office.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One destitute of knowledge; one who is ignorant, or who professes ignorance, of anything; an ignoramus.
- n. [capitalized] A member of the so-called American party (which see, under American). See also quotation.
- Very ignorant.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an ignorant person
Sorry, no etymologies found.