from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One compulsorily enrolled for service, especially in the armed forces; a draftee.
- adj. Enrolled compulsorily; drafted.
- transitive v. To enroll compulsorily into service; draft.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One who is compulsorily enrolled, often into a military service; a draftee.
- adj. Drafted.
- v. To enrol(l) compulsorily; to draft; to induct.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Enrolled; written; registered.
- n. One taken by lot, or compulsorily enrolled, to serve as a soldier or sailor.
- transitive v. To enroll, by compulsion, for military service.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To enroll compulsorily for military or naval service; force into service; draft.
- Registered; enrolled.
- n. One who is compulsorily enrolled for military or naval service.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. someone who is drafted into military service
- v. enroll into service compulsorily
Latin cōnscriptus, past participle of cōnscrībere, to enroll : com-, com- + scrībere, to write; see skrībh- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin cōnscriptus, perfect passive participle of cōnscrībō ("write together; enroll"). (Wiktionary)