from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To make mobile or capable of movement.
- transitive v. To assemble, prepare, or put into operation for or as if for war: mobilize troops; mobilize the snowplows.
- transitive v. To assemble, marshal, or coordinate for a purpose: mobilized the country's economic resources.
- intransitive v. To become prepared for or as if for war.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To make something mobile.
- v. To assemble troops and their equipment in a coordinated fashion so as to be ready for war.
- v. To become made ready for war.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To assemble and organize and make ready for use or action.
- transitive v. To put in a state of readiness for active service in war, as an army corps.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To put in motion or in readiness for motion.
- In naval affairs, more rarely, to make corresponding preparation of a fleet or squadron for active service on a war footing.
- Milit., to prepare for motion or action; make ready for active operations, or for taking the field.
- Also spelled mobilise.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. call to arms; of military personnel
- v. cause to move around
- v. get ready for war
- v. make ready for action or use
Sorry, no etymologies found.
He may have had a capability to do what we call mobilize and surge.
This capacity to mobilize translates into a diversity of movements that are ready to take action when necessary, whether it's to hold Evo Morales' feet to the flames, or mobilize against the right and foreign corporations.
Mr. Deripaska said Norilsk should sell its treasury shares, noncore assets and some overseas assets, which may "mobilize" as much as $6 billion.
Peace Corps and he's here to talk about how volunteers kind of mobilize, and how so many local governments and nongovernment agencies all get involved at a time like this.
Unrefined, unprocessed vegetable oils "mobilize" saturated fats from meat and dairy products and help protect the arteries.
Great introduction, I liked the "mobilize" advice, got a little lost around the Cindy Sheehan chapter, glad you wrote it, jealous because people are gonna buy your book like hotcakes but nobody will buy mine!
LEVEAUX-HALEY: There might be some need to kind of mobilize the Latino vote or galvanize the Latinos around some type of issue.
LEVEAUX-HALEY: There might be some need to kind of mobilize the Latino vote or galvanize Latinos around some type of issue.
LEVEAUX-HALEY: There might be some need to kind of mobilize the Latino vote or galvanize Latinos around some type of issue, and that just might be this divide between Latinos and African-American voters.
LEVEAUX-HALEY: There might be some need to kind of mobilize the Latino vote or galvanize Latinos around some type of issue and that just might be this divide between Latinos and African-American voters.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.