from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To provide with an incentive; move to action; impel.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To provide someone with an incentive to do something; to encourage.
- v. To animate; to propel; to cause to take action
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To provide with a motive; to move; impel; induce; incite.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To motive; act as a motive or as the inciting cause of; induce.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. give an incentive for action
motive + -ate (Wiktionary)