from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To provoke and urge on: troublemakers who incite riots; inciting workers to strike. See Synonyms at provoke.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To rouse, stir up or excite.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To move to action; to stir up; to rouse; to spur or urge on.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To move to action; stir up; instigate; spur on.
- Synonyms Impel, Induce, etc. (see actuate), stimulate, urge on, rouse, fire, provoke, excite, encourage, animate, set on, drive, persuade. See list under impel.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. provoke or stir up
- v. urge on; cause to act
- v. give an incentive for action
Beck, Limbaugh and Palin incite violence for their own financial gain.
You see, Broder doesn't suggest that the president "incite" a war only because Broder has already done such splendid work in inciting it himself.
The Fitna film illustrates the dangers of Islamisation highlighted with selective Koranic texts, it does not "incite" against Muslims rather rails about extremism and frankly so it should.
Next I would point out that the word "incite" correlates to if anactual assault by the crowd that gathered occurred.
Former Angolan rebel leader Jonas Savimbi has begun preparations to relaunch a civil war, travelling to the coastal province of Benguela to "incite" the inhabitants, an area police chief charged on Monday.
Bachmann says Pelosi wanted to 'incite' Tea Partiers
Appearing on Fox News last night, Bachmann upped the ante, claiming Pelosi wanted to "incite"
A third man was cited with disorderly conduct after he revved the engine of his vehicle along Beaver Avenue in an attempt to "incite" the crowd, police said.
School books are often said to "incite" Palestinians.
Only Palestinians and Arabs "incite" but very few Israeli Jews are said to
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.