American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To provoke and urge on: troublemakers who incite riots; inciting workers to strike. See Synonyms at provoke.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To move to action; stir up; instigate; spur on.
- Synonyms Impel, Induce, etc. (see actuate), stimulate, urge on, rouse, fire, provoke, excite, encourage, animate, set on, drive, persuade. See list under impel.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To move to action; to stir up; to rouse; to spur or urge on.
- v. provoke or stir up
- v. urge on; cause to act
- v. give an incentive for action
- From Latin incitare ("to set in motion, hasten, urge, incite"), from in ("in, on") + citare ("to set in motion, urge"), frequentative of ciere ("to rouse, excite, call"). (Wiktionary)
- Middle English encyten, from Old French enciter, from Latin incitāre, to urge forward : in-, intensive pref.; see in-2 + citāre, to stimulate, frequentative of ciēre, to put in motion; see kei-2 in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Beck, Limbaugh and Palin incite violence for their own financial gain.”
“You see, Broder doesn't suggest that the president "incite" a war only because Broder has already done such splendid work in inciting it himself.”
“The Fitna film illustrates the dangers of Islamisation highlighted with selective Koranic texts, it does not "incite" against Muslims rather rails about extremism and frankly so it should.”
“Next I would point out that the word "incite" correlates to if anactual assault by the crowd that gathered occurred.”
“Former Angolan rebel leader Jonas Savimbi has begun preparations to relaunch a civil war, travelling to the coastal province of Benguela to "incite" the inhabitants, an area police chief charged on Monday.”
“Bachmann says Pelosi wanted to 'incite' Tea Partiers”
“Appearing on Fox News last night, Bachmann upped the ante, claiming Pelosi wanted to "incite”
“A third man was cited with disorderly conduct after he revved the engine of his vehicle along Beaver Avenue in an attempt to "incite" the crowd, police said.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘incite’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
an immense, grandiloquent list that loads like a thousand years sentence in stone. new words are in the other lists.
mostly from magoosh
Commonly Confused Words
Words as I learn them.
Looking for tweets for incite.