from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To set afire; light.
- transitive v. To incite; arouse.
- transitive v. To make luminous and glowing.
- intransitive v. To catch fire.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To kindle; to arouse or evoke.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To set on fire; to inflame; to kindle.
- transitive v. To excite; to rouse into action; to incite.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To kindle; set on fire; inflame.
- Hence To excite; rouse into action; inflame: as, to enkindle the passions; to enkindle zeal; to enkindle war or discord, or the flames of war.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. cause to start burning
- v. call forth (emotions, feelings, and responses)
Sorry, no etymologies found.