American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Lasting for, extending over, or remaining during a night: an overnight trip; an overnight guest.
- adj. For use over a single night or for a short journey: overnight supplies.
- adj. Mailed for guaranteed delivery on the next day: an overnight package.
- adj. Happening as if in a single night; sudden: an overnight success.
- adv. During or for the length of the night: Let the meat marinate overnight.
- adv. In or as if in the course of one night; suddenly: became a sensation overnight.
- n. An overnight stay or trip.
- v. To spend the night: overnighting at a country inn.
- v. To send by mail or other courier for delivery the next day.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Through the night; during the evening or night; especially, during the night just passed.
- n. Night before bedtime, referring to the night just passed.
- Done or occurring overnight; specifically, in racing, noting an entry made just before the day of the race, or a race arranged ‘overnight.’
- n. In racing, a race (or entry) arranged the night before it is run.
- adv. Throughout the night
- adv. During a single night
- adv. In a very short (but unspecified) amount of time
- adj. Occurring between dusk and dawn.
- adj. Complete before the next morning.
- n. Items delivered or completed overnight.
- n. An overnight stay, especially in a hotel or other lodging facility.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. rare The fore part of the night last past; the previous evening.
- adv. In the fore part of the night last past; in the evening before.
- adv. Throughout the night.
- adv. During the night; hence, in a short period of time.
- adj. Ocurring or accomplished during one night.
- adv. during or for the length of one night
- adv. happening in a short time or with great speed
- adj. lasting, open, or operating through the whole night
“I know this is a little bit off topic, but it is about search engine optimization so I figure some of you SEO guys wouldn't mind answering my question: Is there any way I can make my website rank for a term overnight?”
“And of course 'overnight' is a relative term not unlike mañana.”
“Rare is the politician who could clear his name overnight and chooses not to.”
“Even so, all the tax-collector had to do was hold the coins overnight, in a special locked box.”
“Police released a statement on Tuesday saying they had received phone calls overnight before the males came forward.”
“Strong industrial production, retail sales and bank lending data emerging overnight from the Chinese economy coupled to a report indicating a rise in its inflationary pressures, also helped pressure global bond prices lower in turn lifting yields.”
“Police said the armed man was outside a home in the upstate town of Blossvale when troopers arrived after getting an emergency phone call overnight about a domestic dispute.”
“Many Gazans also reported receiving a surge in telephone calls overnight from Israeli intelligence officers, warning them of planned operations in their districts but also attempting to pump them for information.”
“The word overnight is that Jay Cutler's relationship with the Broncos has gone from "bad to worse" following a”
“All that wealth incinerated almost overnight translates into lost jobs, lost homes, lost businesses, lost retirements, lost health care, lost education, lost options, lost dreams.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘overnight’.
Being a list of words which have "specifically" in their definitions.
Words with definitions that have a "hence" in them.
Very basic words for ESL students.
Wordieworthy jargon from the impenetrable world of cricket.
Listening to this as an audio book for the second time. Tim O'Brien uses simple words and phrases to great effect. Very few unfamilar and big words . The writing style reminds me of words from Joh...
Words from 2009 'Watchmen' film.
Looking for tweets for overnight.