from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To cover (something) with writing.
- transitive v. To write about in an artificial or an excessively elaborate, wordy style.
- transitive v. Computer Science To destroy or lose (old data) by recording new data over it: accidentally overwrote an important document.
- transitive v. Computer Science To record (new data) on top of already stored data, thus destroying the old data: overwrote an updated document on top of an earlier draft.
- intransitive v. To write artificial, excessively elaborate, or wordy prose.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To destroy old data by recording new data over it.
- v. To cover in writing.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To write over some other writing, or to cover, as a manuscript, with other writing.
- To superscribe; entitle.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. write new data on top of existing data and thus erase the previously existing data
Goldman Sachs derivatives strategists this week recommended such an "overwrite" strategy for shares in home-improvement twins Lowe's and
For shareholders, selling calls can be an "overwrite" strategy that generates income and sets up a potential exit from the stock.
Take part in a social music sharing event with a difference - in CD-Recycled 45rpm Aleks Kolkowski uses his vintage record cutter to 'overwrite' existing data and cut grooves on CDs/DVDs so they can be played on a turntable.
Truth to tell, I wanted to edit and polish it a bit more but was afraid of two things: first, given my workload, I might not have enough time; and second, that I might 'overwrite'.
There is a overloaded parameter calledd "overwrite", set this to true, for example:
I did use Resco Explorer in my initial attempts and managed to "overwrite" files from the rom, but the drivers are just not functioning that way.
To offset any anticipated negative impacts to gold and silver prices, investors can "overwrite" their iShares Silver Trust (SLV) with out-of-the-money call options that expire in January.
The interface provided by Data Sweeper Pro offers instant access to it's core features such as: active list of files to be shredded, shred method (random char fill or zero overwrite which is faster, by the way) and one final important parameter: the number of passes in the shredding process.
i have re-install it without formating the (ext4) drive, and it become a kind of overwrite (i think so, because my wallpaper and a few more things are as it was.) lisati
We use a high frequency neuroreprogrammer to overwrite his frontal and temporal lobes with synaptic data that we record from your brain.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.