from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Slang Tense; nervous.
- adj. Slang Financially pressed; destitute.
- adj. Slang Outraged; angry.
- adj. Slang Rigidly conventional, as in manners, opinions, and tastes: "She sees this headlong, headstrong, plunge into worldliness as a protracted process of shucking the shame of her uptight upbringing” ( James Wolcott).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Excessively concerned with rules and order.
- adj. Sexually repressed.
- adj. Unfriendly and rude.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. being in a tense state
Sorry, no etymologies found.