from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Relating to, characterized by, or practicing polygamy.
- adj. Botany Having both hermaphroditic and unisexual flowers on the same plant or on separate plants of the same species.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of, relating to, or practicing polygamy.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to polygamy; characterized by, or involving, polygamy; having a plurality of wives; ; -- opposed to
- adj. Pairing with more than one female.
- adj. Belonging to the Polygamia; bearing both hermaphrodite and unisexual flowers on the same plant.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Relating to or characterized by polygamy: as, polygamous marriage (a union including more than one spouse of either sex, sanctioned in respect to plurality of wives by the law of some countries, but not recognized as marriage by the law of Christian states).
- In zoöl mating with more than one individual of the opposite sex; polyandrous or polygynous, especially the latter, which is more frequent among animals than the former.
- In botany, bearing both unisexual and bisexual or hermaphroditic flowers in the same species.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. having several forms of gametoecia on the same plant
- adj. having more than one mate at a time; used of relationships and individuals
poly- + -gamous (Wiktionary)