from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Botany Having the male and female reproductive organs borne on separate individuals of the same species.
- adj. Botany Characterized by species in which the male and female reproductive organs occur on different individuals; sexually distinct.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Having the male and female reproductive organs on separate plants (of the same species) rather than different parts of the same plant.
- adj. Having two distinct sexes.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. having male and female reproductive organs in separate plants or animals
From New Latin Dioecia, former class name : di-1 + Greek oikiā, a dwelling; see weik-1 in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
di- + -oecious (Wiktionary)